Mexikanische Gemüseschale (ENG)
Rice and beans can be so much more when combined with in-season, fresh sauteed veggies and served with cilantro and lime. Bonus points if you hide a couple of cans of beer in your pack, chill them in a stream and bring them out as you serve dinner.
PRO TIP #1: X-Cups, X-Mugs and X-Bowls have graded measurements molded into the inside surfaces. Delta Spoons are exactly 1 tablespoon.
1 cup/250ml = 1 X-Cup
1 tbsp/15ml = 1 Delta Spoon
2 cups/500ml = 1 X-Mug
3 tsp = 1 Delta Spoon
Vegan/Vegetarian (with cheese)
Option: add chicken
Serving size: 2
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
- 3/4 cup quick-cooking rice
- 5-7 oz Tetra Pack black or pinto beans, drained and rinsed (half 10 or 13.4 oz Tetra Pack)
- 1 small onion (alternatively 2 bulb/spring onions or shallots), very thinly sliced
- 1 bell pepper, very thinly sliced
- 1 zucchini, sliced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/2 cup grated Cotija cheese (optional)
- fresh lime juice
PRO TIP #2: Prep at home! Pack fresh cilantro and a lime in an X-Seal & Go bowl with a paper towel to keep them fresh.
- Measure twice the quantity of water to rice using an X-Cup (1 1/2 cup water to 3/4 cup rice).
- Bring rice and water to a boil in an Alpha Pot or Sigma Pot. Stir, cover and remove from heat. Set aside.
- Saute sliced onion, bell pepper and zucchini with salt, pepper and olive oil in an Alpha Pan. Season with chili powder and paprika.
- Add beans and heat through. Option: add chicken for additional protein.
- Serve beans and veggies on top of rice. Top with Cotija cheese (optional), fresh lime juice and cilantro.
PRO TIP #3: Leftover beans can be stored in an X-Seal & Go for a great bean salad lunch the following day.