Camp Kitchen Recipes
Toasted ANZAC Granola
The Australia and New Zealand Army Corps (ANZACs) served with distinction in the First World War, sustained in their bitter Gallipoli campaign by ANZAC 'biscuits' - a hard cookie - sent from home. We've taken that recipe and used it as an inspiration for this hearty breakfast - powered by oats, nuts and fruit and, motivated by ANZAC spirit, you'll be ready to take on the day.
PRO TIP #1: X-Cups, X-Mugs and X-Bowls have graded measurements molded into the inside surfaces. Delta Spoons are exactly 1 tablespoon.
1 cup/250ml = 1 X-Cup
1 tbsp/15ml = 1 Delta Spoon
2 cups/500ml = 1 X-Mug
3 tsp = 1 Delta Spoon
Vegan (with soy or nut milk)/Vegetarian (with dried milk)
Serving size: 2
Prep time: 2 minutes
Cook time: 10-15 minutes
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts (or substitute nuts of your choice)
- 1/3 cup chopped hazelnuts
- 2 tbsp sunflower seeds
- *1/3 cup milk of your choice, plus a bit to top with
- pinch of salt
- pinch of cinnamon
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 tbsp brown or white sugar (optional)
- 1/3 cup flaked coconut
- 1/2 cup raisins (or 1/4 cup raisins, 1/4 cup dried apricots)
- *for backpacking use reconstituted dried milk
- In a nonstick Alpha Pan, melt 1 tbsp coconut oil over medium heat. Add 1 cup rolled oats and toast for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally until oats start to turn fragrant.
- Add nuts and seeds and continue stirring for 1-2 minutes more, until lightly toasted.
- In an Alpha Pot or Sigma Pot, add 1/3 cup milk, pinch of salt, pinch of cinnamon and 3/4 cup water. Bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Add sugar, flaked coconut, raisins and toasted oats and stir gently to combine. Cover pot, turn off the heat and let sit for 5-10 minutes.
- Serve warm and chewy. Add additional milk if desired.