Camp Kitchen Recipes
Warm Veggie Ramen
Some backpackers may associate ‘Ramen Noodles’ with the inexpensive staple they consumed as penniless students. This is not that Ramen. This is the kind of Ramen served up in restaurants that use descriptors like ‘Asian Fusion’. It is bursting full of fresh flavors and textures, and the protein and carbs will sustain you through tomorrow’s adventures. Tell everyone you pass on the trail that you are running on fusion power…
- Ramen noodles (2 packages, 6oz/60g)
- 1/2 X-Cup of carrots sliced
- 1/2 X-Cup Shiitake mushrooms sliced
- 2-4 scallions chopped
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- 2 cloves garlic fresh or peeled cloves transported in olive oil in a leak-proof bottle
- 1" ginger root peeled or 2 tsp. minced and transported in olive oil in a leak-proof bottle
- 4 oz veggie jerky or 6 oz tofu or 6 oz chicken
- 2 veggie bouillon cubes
- 1-2 Tbsp. olive oil or sesame oil or both
- 2-4 soy sauce packets
- Sriracha sauce (optional)
- Chop the garlic, ginger, carrots, mushrooms, and scallions (2 each) using a Delta Knife and the base of an X-Bowl.
- Boil 4 X-Cups of water in a larger Alpha Pot or Sigma Pot (1.9 or 2.7L), dissolve two bouillon cubes into the water. Pour broth into an XL-Bowl or Delta Light Bowl and set aside.
- Combine olive and sesame oils in the now-empty Alpha/Sigma Pot to cook ginger and garlic for 1 minute. Add carrots, mushrooms, and scallions and cook until soft, around 2-4 minutes.
- Add veggie broth, soy sauce, and Sriracha, jerky/tofu/chicken, and simmer for 5 minutes. Add ramen noodles and cook over low heat for 5 minutes. Serve with fresh scallions and spinach.